The Orville (Season 1)

Post your pics and art, discuss any media you happen to be interested in. Go wild, be artistic!
Synsensa

The Orville (Season 1)

Post by Synsensa » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:13 pm

So, Seth MacFarlane decided he wanted to make a TV show that felt like Star Trek after the atrocities of the NuTrek movies and the expected sour response to Discovery's development.

Cue the arrival of The Orville. We are now six episodes deep.

Is anyone watching this show? What do you think about it? Does it feel like Star Trek to you? Do you like the random attempts at humour? What bugs you? What do you like?

shadowplay

Re: The Orville (Season 1)

Post by shadowplay » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:44 am

I like Seth MacFarlane, so I checked the first episode out. It wasn't really my kind of a thing at all. I'm not into sci-fi so a lot of the humour and references go over my head.
Touching from a distance further all the time

Synsensa

Post by Synsensa » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:51 am

The pilot wasn't very strong but with a general dislike of sci-fi I'm not sure it's redeemable if you keep watching...

You should make a thread about a show you're watching. ;)

Cutlass
Site Admin

Post by Cutlass » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:16 am

I saw the pilot. Unfortunately the show is on after my bedtime, so I haven't caught up on it.

Synsensa

Post by Synsensa » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:11 am

I've now caught up (I had previously stagnated at episode 3) on the season.

I really like this show. It's well scripted and it has Star Trek-esque moralistic approaches.

My two main concerns are the attempts at humour and the casting. The casting for Alara is good, as well as Kelly. The doctor is a gimme since she's from Star Trek Deep Space Nine. However, I'm not keen on the rest of the main cast. Seth is a good actor but he always seems 'ready' to make a zinger and I don't feel he has the physicality necessary to project the authority of a 'captain'.

The humour, meanwhile, is very hit-or-miss. Most of it feels eye-rolly to me although the end of the Calivan zoo episode was hilarious. They need to tighten up the attempts or at least put in a better effort. It's not good when there's something in every episode that makes you go "I'd really rather not".

@Cutlass, I'd recommend catching up if you liked the pilot. It gets better.

Cutlass
Site Admin

Post by Cutlass » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:50 pm

I can't output my computer to my TV anymore. So that makes it harder to stream TV shows. I need to get a second monitor. And it always bothers me that the streaming is shaky.

Ajidica

Post by Ajidica » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:34 pm

I've seen the first three (or four?) episodes and while it is pretty enjoyable, it has the Family Guy jokes problem in that it isn't content to let something go by in the background or a one liner. It has to repeatedly draw your attention back to it again, and again, as if constantly asking DID YOU GET THE JOKE LOOK HOW FUNNY WE ARE.

Like, in one episode they were talking on a viewscreen with a scientists and behind the scientist and dog was very energetically licking his balls. It was actually quite funny how everyone one the Bridge noticed it but nobody wanted to mention it. Then, when the viewscreen was cut one of the characters (ship pilot?) turned to another and said "Hey, did you see that dog licking its balls". As if the viewer is too blind to have noticed the last 30 seconds of a dog licking his balls. Sort of ruined the joke's landing.

Still better than Discovery as I don't have to pay CBS for a special service to watch it.

Valka D'Ur

Post by Valka D'Ur » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:10 am

Haven't seen it. I might some day. The anti-Disco people over at TrekBBS seem to like it.
The above post is certified as having been Made In Canada.