All-time favourite CFC moments?

If it don't go elsewhere, it goes here.
hobbsyoyo

Re: All-time favourite CFC moments?

Post by hobbsyoyo » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:43 am

The Great Ghost Writer Ban Hammer

I have never been that passionate about something on a forum and probably never will again. Looking back on it, I should have done more to just ignore him. At the same time, however, he absolutely had to go. He could not color between the lines, so to speak. Not a single thread could go by without him warping it into Rand Paul and that was I think largely a function of his autistic obsession. I can't fault him for that but that doesn't mean he gets a blank check to wreck everything he posts in.

hahaha I'm getting worked up just thinking about it.

BirdJaguar - Would you give us an inkling of what was going on behind the scenes then? The lack of action (or even to see the problem as worthy of any action or consideration) by the Mods was infuriating. I'm wondering what it was like on the other side of the wall.

Valka D'Ur

Post by Valka D'Ur » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:04 am

I was on staff for most of his time, and my own views went back and forth, depending on whether he'd said something offensive or merely out of ignorance (as in not knowing something). At first I thought, "He's a teenager, and teenagers eventually grow up" and figured that if people were willing to mentor him a bit, he'd do better.

I did try. At least he eventually lessened his speeches about how all women who had abortions should be executed. I told him that although the men far outnumber the women on CFC, he could very well be talking about executing fellow forum members with whom he'd had conversations (totally hypothetical, btw; I don't know if anyone has, and have never asked - it's none of my business or anyone else's).

Then I gave him a reader's digest condensed version of the many reasons why women might opt for abortion, and told him exactly why I would have had one if I'd ever been in that situation.

It didn't penetrate his grey matter all the way, but I think it helped a little. He did modify his position a little, to make an exception for situations where the life of the mother was at risk.

He saw me as someone who was willing to explain things without calling him names or throwing politics at him (couldn't anyway; American politics still baffles me no matter how many times it's explained). That's not to say that I didn't get really exasperated at times, but still... some people may seem hopeless to deal with but in most cases they really aren't. It just takes patience to figure out the best way.

Dunno about anyone else, but when he was finally permabanned, he PM'd me to say goodbye.
The above post is certified as having been Made In Canada.

Cutlass
Site Admin

Post by Cutlass » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:44 am

I had some PM conversations with him. Occasionally he'd act like I'd gotten through, at least somewhat. But then he'd regress to what he was. Eventually I quit trying.

Aimee

Post by Aimee » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:09 pm

I don't remember him well, but I got the impression that he was too stubborn for his own good. When you're stubborn enough that you can't change your views in the face of clear evidence that's not a good thing.

I have no memory of wrecking his argument about people not eating though.

Valka D'Ur

Post by Valka D'Ur » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:21 pm

@Aimee: I think that was referring to someone else. One of the things I clearly recall about you is that you're very good at cutting through people's BS when they're not making sense.

Aimee

Post by Aimee » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:33 pm

Oh. I misread the post.

Valka D'Ur

Post by Valka D'Ur » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:18 pm

Aimee wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:33 pm
Oh. I misread the post.
Not a problem. I'm not sure whose argument it was that you wrecked (in a good way! :)), but it wasn't Domination3000 (I can't remember that he ever talked about eating). It was somebody else's.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:15 am

The day I gave up caring whether CFC banned me for life is a favorite for sure.

hobbsyoyo

Post by hobbsyoyo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:51 pm

Timsup2nothin wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:15 am
The day I gave up caring whether CFC banned me for life is a favorite for sure.
What's the story here?

Lexicus

Post by Lexicus » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:22 pm

The economics posts I just dropped in the DOW Drops 666 points thread and Mise's reponse to one of them