Chat thread. Place for casual conversation.

If it don't go elsewhere, it goes here.
warpus

Re: Chat thread. Place for casual conversation.

Post by warpus » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:53 am

What's your budget?

Cutlass
Site Admin

Post by Cutlass » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:08 am

Hadn't really thought about it. $3000 should cover it. Biggest expense will be rooms, since I'm not a camper. Followed by food, and the ferry. And I'll go about as cheap as available on the rooms and food. What may prevent this plan is the time of year that I could make the trip. I have to find out when the tourist services close for the season.

shadowplay

Post by shadowplay » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:10 pm

Warpus! :D

As a welcome to IALS, I present to you this... cured polish meat.

Touching from a distance further all the time

warpus

Post by warpus » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:28 pm

Thanks! But why am I always welcomed with big juicy sausage

Cutlass, is one of the restrictions for your trip that you want to drive there? Or is flying cool. I am looking for a cheaperish vacation for myself for a couple weeks, at a lower price point even, so I'm going to be running searches anyway. But I want to leave the continent probably

Synsensa

Post by Synsensa » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:14 pm

Tim's gonna have a house in Belize you can rent.

Cutlass
Site Admin

Post by Cutlass » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:28 pm

My thoughts on driving are this:
  • I'm going to be in northern Maine already. Flying would burn a day each way anyways. Driving to northern Maine burns a day each way already. Driving to Newfoundland is actually only adding 2 days travel time to what I would already be using otherwise.
  • I can only ballpark flight costs at this time, but the estimates I'm seeing are $500-$620 or so round trip. So driving would actually cost me more or less the same. And driving would only cost me that much because round trip on the ferry would be $400. And I'm including 2 nights extra lodging in the estimate. Then $200-$250 to rent a car for the time I'm there. Now I haven't budget shopped these numbers yet, but it doesn't look to be saving me money to fly. And once there I will still need a car, for I can't count on buses being available to do what I want and go where I want when I want. As Zelig pointed out over at fiftychat one night, there's just not many places you can go as a tourist in North America without a car.
  • With my car I have a lot less in the way of luggage restrictions. So I can bring both clothes for the weather I expect, and the weather that I don't. That's actually further north that I've ever been before, and if I do it this year, it can only be September to October. So it wouldn't hurt to have some winter clothes on hand.
  • And speaking of possible bad weather, as well as possible bad roads, for me to rent a car that is as capable of dealing with those as my car is will cost me an extra $50+. And that includes if there are any unpaved back roads in the parks. My car is just better at those things than the common rental car. And if I get off the pavement and scrape it up a little bit, it's my car, my problem, and I don't have to worry about paying some inflated fee to the rental car agency.
  • And, I have to admit, there's a certain psychological aspect to it as well. My car is a 'safe space' for me. And I just feel better when I have it available. I've had a car essentially continuously since 1981. Being in my own car is something of a comfort zone.
The biggest thing driving the cost on this trip for me, as I said, is lodging. I'll probably spend as much on that as everything else combined. It could end up coming in well under $3k. But I'd have to start bargain hunting and reserving rooms ahead of time. Which I've never done before. My last time in Canada I ended up renting a couple of cabins that were nicer than my last apartment, because all the cheap rooms in the area were full or closed for the season. My last long trip was with a friend, and he aggressively bargain hunted rooms. Even when we had to drive hours out of the way to get to the rooms. A motel room with 2 beds is little more, and sometimes the same price, as one with a single bed. But with the cost split in half for the 2 people. So traveling with someone can really save the per-person cost. Unfortunately, I have no one to ask on this trip.

If you're really looking to get out of North America for your next trip, Tim has timeshares in Belize he wants to talk to you about. :twisted: Or Grendelef says that flights to Finland are really cheap right now.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:07 am

Not yet. We just broke ground. By the end of the year though.

warpus

Post by warpus » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:07 am

Ahhhh you're going to a specific place. For some reason I thought it was a bit of an open ended trip idea, but I guess I wasn't paying enough attention

My 3 week long backpacking tour of Peru cost about $3,000 Canadian, and I am pretty sure that included all the clothing and gear I needed to buy for the hike. On non-hiking days we stayed both in private rooms in hostels, and in dorm rooms.. the dorm rooms were really cheap, and the private rooms were cheap. If you ever have $3k USD to spend on a trip and you're looking for places to go, there are a lot of options out there where the main cost is the flight there/back. I tend to ocasionally splurge a bit on my trips and in Thailand I spent about $3k CAD total, incl. flight, incl. $400 suit

Cutlass
Site Admin

Post by Cutlass » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:33 am

Those are pretty low costs for the size of the trips you've taken. But then you're going to less expensive countries.

My trip is not specifically planned. So much as I'm brainstorming whether this trip is feasible at this time, or whether I need to come up with some other idea. I'm not as adventurous as you are, and heading off to a whole different part of the world alone is beyond my nerves at the moment. I haven't got that level of confidence. I think I'd be more willing to try more adventurous trips if I had a traveling companion.

Where do you think you want to go for your trip this year?

GoodEnoughForMe

Post by GoodEnoughForMe » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:26 pm

Yeah I highly, highly recommend hostels for everyone if they're ok with the lack of amenities. You could be talking about a room that is 25-50% per night of the cost of a hotel. In Europe that can be over $100 a night in savings very, very easily. When I went to SE Asia with my friend, we did hostels, and the $1200 plane tickets ended up being like 60% of the cost of a 16 days trip to 3 countries. Everything else was super cheap. I've done them in the US, in Asia, Europe, etc., etc., and have nothing but good experiences and cool people and a thankful wallet out of them.

Obviously in places like Europe it's going to be expensive no matter what. But I think that's when it's even more important, because the raw savings are that much larger. Same with, say, Japan, or Korea, or the US or something.