Chat thread. Place for casual conversation.

If it don't go elsewhere, it goes here.
Lohrenswald

Re: Chat thread. Place for casual conversation.

Post by Lohrenswald » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:27 pm

Back when this site was launched I had problems with the captcha and wasn't able to make an account, but now I'm finally here

Synsensa

Post by Synsensa » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:31 pm

time to pack it in, folks

Cutlass
Site Admin

Post by Cutlass » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:29 pm

Lohrenswald wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:27 pm
Back when this site was launched I had problems with the captcha and wasn't able to make an account, but now I'm finally here

Welcome. A number of people had problems with that.

Lexicus

Post by Lexicus » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:12 pm

Now it's a party

shadowplay

Post by shadowplay » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:14 pm

Welcome! I don't know what you eat, so here's a muffin basket:

Touching from a distance further all the time

endsjustifythememe

Post by endsjustifythememe » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:17 pm

GoodEnoughForMe wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:26 pm
Yeah I highly, highly recommend hostels for everyone if they're ok with the lack of amenities. You could be talking about a room that is 25-50% per night of the cost of a hotel. In Europe that can be over $100 a night in savings very, very easily. When I went to SE Asia with my friend, we did hostels, and the $1200 plane tickets ended up being like 60% of the cost of a 16 days trip to 3 countries. Everything else was super cheap. I've done them in the US, in Asia, Europe, etc., etc., and have nothing but good experiences and cool people and a thankful wallet out of them.

Obviously in places like Europe it's going to be expensive no matter what. But I think that's when it's even more important, because the raw savings are that much larger. Same with, say, Japan, or Korea, or the US or something.
yeah I've had similiar experiences. while I was in a hostel in Vietnam I met a french speaking Chinese girl from Canada and we ended up travelling together for a week. in a different hostel in Thailand my family and I made friends with the German owner and his wife, her cooking was amazing and we didn't go to a single restaurant on that Island (Koh Pan Gan I believe it was). While backpacking through Europe I met so many people who took me out to a drink, gave me their adresses, told me I could come by any time.. Some I am still in contact with.

hotels are mostly boring and make you lazier. hostels usually aren't nice so you won't stay inside (or on the premise) all day. If I*m on a vacation and not walking around for at least 6 hours a day that's a failed trip for me. the best way to get to know a city or country is to just pull out a map and lose yourself 10 times. I now know central Rome as good as my home city :lol:
aka brian emo aka der ewige lude aka mangoloid aka hera cleetus aka carl the youngest aka based evans

GoodEnoughForMe

Post by GoodEnoughForMe » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:01 pm

Yeah, even when I go to like Chicago for Pitchfork music fest or something I always stay in a hostel for the weekend and I always meet great people. There's certainly some bro-y bougie people but most are just trying to enjoy travel or whatever. Between hostels often having events and using stuff like Meetup or Tinder or OkC you can p much these days always get with someone who is willing to help you out or hang out or whatever floats your boat. I spent an entire day basically being biked around Ho Chi Minh and eating spicy frog soup and drinking beer in a park and stuff with someone who I am still in touch with and wants me to come back.

shadowplay

Post by shadowplay » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:48 pm

Came within inches of being t-boned making a left turn today by some SUV idiot going through a solid red. To call me incensed would be an understatement. Fucker could have killed me. I'm still enraged about it hours later.

shadowplay

Post by shadowplay » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:15 pm

There aren't enough drugs on planet earth to calm me down after something like that. Fucking motherfucker.

Cutlass
Site Admin

Post by Cutlass » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:18 pm

[internet hugs] I know it sucks, been there. Take deep breaths.