TOTD 11/3 What do you think of Gallows Humor?

If it don't go elsewhere, it goes here.
Cutlass
Site Admin

TOTD 11/3 What do you think of Gallows Humor?

Post by Cutlass » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:47 am

By gallows humor I mean humor that's pretty much inappropriately dark. Myself, I definitely appreciate it. I use it myself from time to time. What made me think of it was coming across this meme about the recent Kevin Spacey revelations.

Which is like the best ever use of this meme.

Synsensa

Re: TOTD 11/3 What do you think of Gallows Humor?

Post by Synsensa » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:30 pm

I'm either indifferent to it or I like it. But I also like stereotype humour which these days get you immediately branded as an -ist so take that for what it's worth.

GoodEnoughForMe

Post by GoodEnoughForMe » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:22 pm

Generally kind of wary of it. It's sort of one thing if it's punching up, but a lot of it isn't. I certainly have laughed at some pretty dark stuff about tragedies, but I tend to make sure I don't publicly share any. For instance, I find the really sort of dark depression/suicide memes funny and therapeutic in a way given my history, but I still wouldn't ever like, Tweet them or post them on Facebook.

Catharsis

Post by Catharsis » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:57 pm

I'm a little conflicted on this. Gallows humour is excellent if done well, but it's also difficult to do well, like all humour. It's easy to substitute 'gallows' for 'humour' for the purpose of shock value, but that's not funny. I don't think people appreciate how difficult it is to actually be funny.

The meme above is okay but it hangs on a topical celebrity news reference and a double-meaning of the word 'fuck' and well, those are pretty low-hanging fruits. To be fair I don't think I've ever seen that particular meme used well. (Happy to be proved wrong if anyone has a particularly spicy Jonah lying around?)
Try to be the reason some guy receives a free fidget spinner.

Akka

Post by Akka » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:09 am

I tend to like inappropriate, dark, offensive and sarcastic humour. I guess it answers the question ^^
Probably a mix of being able to like the principle of a joke (I can enjoy the wit of a joke even if I think it should not be done at the time) and a provocative streak. Add to this mix the idea that everything is better if you can make fun of it.
So yeah, very much gallows humour for me. Any kind of humour, really, but this one has also the shock value worth, so it's a plus.

Lemon Merchant

Post by Lemon Merchant » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:54 am

I happen to love gallows humor, and sarcastic humor in general. I have a pretty serious sarcastic streak, and I love satire of all types. The more witty the better as far as I am concerned.
Just a long cool woman in a black dress

Lexicus

Post by Lexicus » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:07 pm

Gallows/dark humor I'm generally a fan of, but will also stop if people are sensitive to it because I try not to be a jackass. Though, if it's my own trauma or imminent death I'm making fun of then they can sod off.

Valka D'Ur

Post by Valka D'Ur » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:54 am

I don't indulge in gallows humor very often, because it strikes me that so much of it is meant to be hurtful to other people, or the person who posts, does, or says something just doesn't care if it hits other people where it hurts.

My mother used to make a sort of "absentminded ding-a-ling" gesture with her finger beside her head if she forgot something, and she'd grin and say, "Alzheimers!".

I finally told her I would appreciate if she'd stop doing that. She knew perfectly well that Alzheimers is what killed my grandmother (not her mom, my dad's mom), and my dad and I found her dead on her bedroom floor.

So I have no sense of humor whatsoever about Alzheimers. I regard it as a hostile act for people to shove such "humor" in my face, once they know my family's circumstances.
The above post is certified as having been Made In Canada.

Catharsis

Post by Catharsis » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:17 am

Lexicus wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:07 pm
Though, if it's my own trauma or imminent death I'm making fun of then they can sod off.
Valka D'Ur wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:54 am
So I have no sense of humor whatsoever about Alzheimers. I regard it as a hostile act for people to shove such "humor" in my face, once they know my family's circumstances.
Yeah, good points - there's a lot of subjects under the umbrella of gallows humour, you can enjoy some but not others.

I think my own humour block is probably on rape - not that I have any experience with it, I just can't think of a way to make rape funny. That might be part of my problem with the Jonah meme.

From looking back through some of my more recent posts on CFC it looks like my preferred topic for gallows humour is terrorism (for example). Terrorists are a little bit funny, these super badasses making their own bombs out of stuff they have lying around, and they win by blowing themselves up? Nice work guys. But the funniest terrorists are the ones that don't manage to blow themselves up, like the Underwear Bomber (the press outdid themselves with that nickname), or the guy that got kicked in the crotch by a Scotsman while on fire.
Try to be the reason some guy receives a free fidget spinner.

Lucy

Post by Lucy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:26 am

Valka D'Ur wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:54 am
My mother used to make a sort of "absentminded ding-a-ling" gesture with her finger beside her head if she forgot something, and she'd grin and say, "Alzheimers!".

I finally told her I would appreciate if she'd stop doing that. She knew perfectly well that Alzheimers is what killed my grandmother (not her mom, my dad's mom), and my dad and I found her dead on her bedroom floor.

Humor is how we handled the Alzheimers in my family. And humor is how we continue to handle the other brain problems. There's been some really difficult shit, so we make light of it to try to be less miserable. It definitely helps. And it signals to people unfamiliar with the situation that we've accepted it for what it is and they don't have to tiptoe.

Yeah, making light of someone's trauma, when you know about it, is being a dick. Do you have any sense of humor about forgetfulness at all? i can't imagine not laughing at myself when I notice my brain hiccuped.