TOTD 11/3 What do you think of Gallows Humor?

If it don't go elsewhere, it goes here.
Catharsis

Re: TOTD 11/3 What do you think of Gallows Humor?

Post by Catharsis » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:27 am

Timsup2nothin wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:25 am
Depending on the venue this can be a very reasonable request. If I went to a dinner party and someone was telling car salesman jokes I would think it reasonable to say "I used to be a car salesman" and expect it to be taken into account. If I were at a comedy club and the headliner was telling car salesman jokes I would expect that standing up in a huff and complaining would just get me laughed at.
This creates an interesting paradox, doesn't it: a car salesman would only complain about such jokes if he were sincerely hurt by them; but if he were sincere, he couldn't possibly be a car salesman.
Try to be the reason some guy receives a free fidget spinner.

Timsup2nothin

Re: TOTD 11/3 What do you think of Gallows Humor?

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:12 pm

Catharsis wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:27 am
Timsup2nothin wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:25 am
Depending on the venue this can be a very reasonable request. If I went to a dinner party and someone was telling car salesman jokes I would think it reasonable to say "I used to be a car salesman" and expect it to be taken into account. If I were at a comedy club and the headliner was telling car salesman jokes I would expect that standing up in a huff and complaining would just get me laughed at.
This creates an interesting paradox, doesn't it: a car salesman would only complain about such jokes if he were sincerely hurt by them; but if he were sincere, he couldn't possibly be a car salesman.
LOL...good point. It was just the only characteristic I could think of that might put me in a group that jokes are told about.