TOTD 12/1: You are asked to make one decision in a post-apocalyptic world...

If it don't go elsewhere, it goes here.
Synsensa

TOTD 12/1: You are asked to make one decision in a post-apocalyptic world...

Post by Synsensa » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:31 am

You are asked to make one decision in a post-apocalyptic world...

... and this decision is the only one you can make. A new society is forming and humanity is being granted the chance to rebuild. In this society, you can make one ironclad choice for its reformation. Just one.

Please note that it has to be specific and 'feasible'. None of that "world peace" nonsense. None of that "all humans are pacifists" mumbo jumbo.

Synsensa

Re: TOTD 12/1: You are asked to make one decision in a post-apocalyptic world...

Post by Synsensa » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:34 am

My decision would be enforced lifelong community service. You can do anything, but you have to do it every week and it has to contribute to your local community. This would see the creation of public gardens, clean road initiatives, and support programs for those less capable or strapped for time. After a handful of generations, this would be ingrained in the society and no longer be seen as a legal obligation.

I think the world would be a very different place if everyone had to pitch in. People are very concerned with work being synonymous with contribution and I think that's silly. Contribution can also come in the form of simply making your community a better place. This is something that even the most introverted, shy, or broken individual can do since not everything that contributes requires a great deal of contact with others. Because you are given free reign on how you do this, you can pick what works best for the kind of person you are.

Catharsis

Re: TOTD 12/1: You are asked to make one decision in a post-apocalyptic world...

Post by Catharsis » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:52 am

Not sure how apocalyptic of an apocalypse we're talking about here, but if it's the same as the one in my head (which admittedly is just the Fallout 4 map) then most of us are going to end up as sustenance farmers anyway - I'm not sure people are going to have the time or the energy for public gardens (either to build them or to enjoy them).

First thing that comes to my mind is that depending on how far back in societal collective knowledge we go, we might get back to the point at which childbirth becomes a proper scary prospect again. So my decision would be that humanity needs to keep its midwifery game strong, have proper hospitals and the means of supporting new mothers through pregnancy, childbirth and early motherhood (i.e. the try not to kill the baby phase) so that we don't end up with super high infant mortality rates or go back to childbirth being the biggest killer of women again, because that's stupid. In a post-apocalypse we need net new lives, not deaths.
Try to be the reason some guy receives a free fidget spinner.

Valka D'Ur

Post by Valka D'Ur » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:31 pm

Literacy for everyone - reading and writing. We already know how much illiteracy hampers progress, so if we're starting over, this is one of the fundamental things we'd need.

BTW, writing/literacy is always the first tech I go for in any Civ game I play. There's only so far a civilization can get without it.

Of course there are many other things. There's a scene in Darkover Landfall, in which the survivors of an interstellar colony ship have to make some decisions after their ship crashes on a marginal world and there's no way off. They realize they'll have to colonize that world instead, and they need to decide on what knowledge they're going to need to survive. So the physicists and computer experts are out of a job and have to learn new skills such as building permanent shelters, gardening, hunting, farming, pottery, and so forth. There's controversy when someone says they need to preserve music, because that's part of what is important to society - music and the other arts.
The above post is certified as having been Made In Canada.

Synsensa

Post by Synsensa » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:37 pm

Catharsis wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:52 am
Not sure how apocalyptic of an apocalypse we're talking about here, but if it's the same as the one in my head (which admittedly is just the Fallout 4 map) then most of us are going to end up as sustenance farmers anyway - I'm not sure people are going to have the time or the energy for public gardens (either to build them or to enjoy them).
Oh no, definitely not "everything is a scorched wasteland". Perhaps post-apocalyptic was a poor choice of term. If it helps, think of it as the beginning of a Civ game. :lol: The key here is to imagine a world where the pre-established society, the ingrained biases and behaviours, don't exist. You're building from the ground up and you don't have to worry about deathclaws eating you at night.

Bears, maybe. But not deathclaws.

Catharsis

Post by Catharsis » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:49 pm

Synsensa wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:37 pm
Oh no, definitely not "everything is a scorched wasteland". Perhaps post-apocalyptic was a poor choice of term. If it helps, think of it as the beginning of a Civ game. :lol: The key here is to imagine a world where the pre-established society, the ingrained biases and behaviours, don't exist. You're building from the ground up and you don't have to worry about deathclaws eating you at night.

Bears, maybe. But not deathclaws.
Oh okay, so a sunnier apocalypse, without mutants. Sounds bearable. Kinda disappointed about the lack of mutants though. :P

In this scenario are my previous answer and Valka's answer still valid? Both of the answers so far other than yours have been based on preserving something basic society already has, but are these answers too obvious, and we're meant to be thinking of something new?
Try to be the reason some guy receives a free fidget spinner.

Synsensa

Post by Synsensa » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:36 pm

They're valid. :) Both of those things would be very important for a new society that may not have modern technology!

Cutlass
Site Admin

Post by Cutlass » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:02 pm

Everyone legally resident in society over the age of 16 is both allowed, and required, to vote.

Lemon Merchant

Post by Lemon Merchant » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:38 am

Anyone committing the crime of rape and who is duly convicted shall be horse-whipped and dipped in iodine, prior to execution.

Convicted drunk drivers will be drawn and quartered.

And finally, celebrities who are famous for nothing else but being celebrities, and those who are simply famous because they are born of celebrities, or know or are married to a celebrity (and abuse the situation, thus falling into the category of simply being famous for being famous), shall all be placed on an isolated island where they can annoy the hell out of each other.

Oh darn! That's more than one. Oh well, pick the one that causes the least moral outrage.
Just a long cool woman in a black dress