TOTD 12/3: Who is Tired of Meghan Markle?

If it don't go elsewhere, it goes here.
Cutlass
Site Admin

Re: TOTD 12/3: Who is Tired of Meghan Markle?

Post by Cutlass » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:46 pm

Lemon Merchant wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:16 am
Being Irish, I'm not much of a monarchist, but I don't really have an opinion one way or another about the British monarchy...

As a good Irish girl you should be more anti-monarchist than that... ;)

Cutlass
Site Admin

Post by Cutlass » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:50 pm

Catharsis wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:17 pm
Cutlass wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:38 am
What I hear is the snobby part of Britain is making snide comments because she's mixed race, and so not 'white enough' to marry a prince. Nice how this all comes out.
The snobby part of Britain is grateful for any excuse to wave a miniature flag around.

The tabloid rags on the other hand, she'll need to watch out for them because they will destroy her if they get the chance. At the moment they seem to have sensed the way the wind's blowing, they've all gone into flagtastic royal wedding mania mode as well, but it won't last. There's a particularly repugnant Daily Mail article that keeps getting mentioned in the thinkpieces I read about this - you can search 'meghan markle straight outta compton' if you want to read it and you don't mind funding the Daily Mail through advertising (I won't link it because I feel guilty enough for clicking on it in the first place).

Most of these thinkpieces seem to stem from American pseudonews outlets, Vox and Buzzfeed and the like - I get the feeling they're trying to convince their audiences that there's some sort of polarising national debate going on over here regarding whether Ms Markle is too black to be acceptable or whatever. It may be the case that that's going on but all I can tell you is that I haven't seen it - blame my white privilege for that oversight if you must but most people don't seem to give a toss as far as I can tell. While we as Brits have a lot of time for hating other races and nationalities, the fact of the matter is, the cricket's on and we're saving all our hate for the fucking Australians at the moment.

Isn't Daily Mail one of Rupert Murdock's fake news places? I wouldn't expect anything good to come out of that. I'm really not watching the American news more than to be aware that they are talking about it, without paying attention to what they are saying. For me, once I'm aware of it, I really don't care to hear much more. They have very low interest for me. I'm too American, and Irish, to ever be a fan of the British monarchy and aristocrats.

Catharsis

Post by Catharsis » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:18 pm

Cutlass wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:50 pm
Isn't Daily Mail one of Rupert Murdock's fake news places? I wouldn't expect anything good to come out of that.
I don't think so... I think someone else owns the Mail. Some other slightly different strain of the same disease.
I'm really not watching the American news more than to be aware that they are talking about it, without paying attention to what they are saying. For me, once I'm aware of it, I really don't care to hear much more. They have very low interest for me. I'm too American, and Irish, to ever be a fan of the British monarchy and aristocrats.
Probably the right way to view it. I haven't decided if I'm going to wave a flag or if I'm going to pretend to be too cool for this wedding like I did the last one. Depends on whether they manage to snag us a bank holiday or not (it's looking unlikely :()

INCIDENTALLY I realise that when I said 'Brits' in the post above I should've said 'English'. No-one else cares about the cricket. Apologies to Scots, Welsh, and N. Irish - although I guess y'all would probably rather be left out of royal wedding talk anyway. Leave that rubbish to the Sassenachs.
Try to be the reason some guy receives a free fidget spinner.

endsjustifythememe

Post by endsjustifythememe » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:03 pm

What kind of media are you people consuming in order to be constantly bombarded with this? I genuinely have not heard the name before, nor anything about the royal engagement.

I mean, a lot of continentals were already looking down on the English for reasons relating to dental hygiene and personal conduct, the embarrassing monarchy was just the cherry on top. The royal family should've just resigned after the Sex Pistols came out with "God Save The Queen".

Now we have this incredibly Frankensteinian Lustspiel going on where the royal Zombies keep being shoved down the public's throat, dressed and propped up like dolls. It's disrespectful to everyone, imo.

When an old man is asking for assisted euthanasia, do you respect his last wish or do you put on make-up and fancy red pumps and make him dance?

Just when I was googling I found this:
Rachel Meghan Markle is an American actress and humanitarian campaigner. She is engaged to marry Prince Harry. She has announced her retirement from acting and begun to carry out royal duties.
Gosh, all those royal duties. Cannot imagine how one could possibly continue to act when you're constantly force-fed bisquits and tea. How could she, poor Meghan, continue to have a career, be a self-sufficient person, when she is now forced to shit out children every year just so that the kind of people that get excited over yellow press bullshit have something to talk about? The glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel is that we won't get to see Meghan star in another movie, something that can probably be considered a net-benefit for all of humanity.

Like Spiderman's uncle once said, great power comes with great responsibility. Just one faux pas, just a single nip slip or accidental ass flash, a single misplaced comment and the honor of the British empire is in shambles. Truly, Meghan carries the biggest burden of us all. After all, she has to spend every waking second of her remaining life with Prince Harry, a prospect that would drive even the most resilient men and women to suicide. So, in that respect, I express my utmost respect for miss Markle. She's sacrificing herself for all of us. Godspeed, Meghan.
aka brian emo aka der ewige lude aka mangoloid aka hera cleetus aka carl the youngest aka based evans

Valka D'Ur

Post by Valka D'Ur » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:49 pm

endsjustifythememe wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:03 pm
What kind of media are you people consuming in order to be constantly bombarded with this? I genuinely have not heard the name before, nor anything about the royal engagement.
Online newscasts. Entertainment newscasts (she was most recently in a successful TV show for several seasons, "Suits" - no, I never watched it, had barely heard of it).

There are monarchists in Canada, and anti-monarchists of the sort who don't understand why we don't just erase the 49th parallel, adopt the U.S. dollar and flag, and become Americans. To the latter I say, "You know where the border is. Do let the security gate hit your backside on the way over." Really, if they can't stand living in a constitutional monarchy where the role of the monarchy is mostly ceremonial and only really comes into serious play via the Governor-General every few years when it's time for a new election, they're free to move to one of the nearly 200 countries where this would not be an issue. We tend to ignore them on a day-to-day basis.
Just when I was googling I found this:
Rachel Meghan Markle is an American actress and humanitarian campaigner. She is engaged to marry Prince Harry. She has announced her retirement from acting and begun to carry out royal duties.
Gosh, all those royal duties. Cannot imagine how one could possibly continue to act when you're constantly force-fed bisquits and tea. How could she, poor Meghan, continue to have a career, be a self-sufficient person, when she is now forced to shit out children every year just so that the kind of people that get excited over yellow press bullshit have something to talk about? The glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel is that we won't get to see Meghan star in another movie, something that can probably be considered a net-benefit for all of humanity.
Like Spiderman's uncle once said, great power comes with great responsibility. Just one faux pas, just a single nip slip or accidental ass flash, a single misplaced comment and the honor of the British empire is in shambles. Truly, Meghan carries the biggest burden of us all. After all, she has to spend every waking second of her remaining life with Prince Harry, a prospect that would drive even the most resilient men and women to suicide. So, in that respect, I express my utmost respect for miss Markle. She's sacrificing herself for all of us. Godspeed, Meghan.
I've never seen her act, so I have no idea if she's any good or not. She lasted 6 seasons on her show, so I have to assume she's at least adequate. Beyond acting, the processes behind the scenes of acting will stand her in good stead as a Royal.

Do you imagine for one second that they actually enjoy most of the things they have on their daily "to do" list? It must be monumentally boring having to cut ribbons for this place or that, tour some factory, meet some people who did something you never heard of and don't care about... and do it all with a gracious smile on your face, pretending it's the most fascinating thing you ever heard of, while your hot/cold/feet are aching, and you're bored out of your mind.

Then do it for the last 65+ years, like the Queen has. If she had her own personal druthers, she'd spend all her time with her horses and dogs. And she sure showed one of the Middle Eastern sheik visitors they had once. The Queen asked if they'd like a tour of the palace grounds, they said yes, and went out to the rover to wait for the driver. To their shock, it was the Queen herself who drove (at quite a clip), explaining as they went along, about everything they were seeing out the windows.

Royal duties may sometimes include tea and crumpets, but it often doesn't, at least not anymore. And please read an anatomy book. The phrase you used is not how human babies are born (insert CFC "nono" smiley here).

Nor does she have an obligation to have a child per year. One will be expected and hoped for, of course. Two would be nice, but then consider that she's already 36. While women are still having babies into their 40s now, it takes more medical intervention, and I wouldn't recommend it because of the increased health risks to both mother and child.

As for reason for her retirement from acting, it should be obvious. Security is already a concern for her. She will be watched now for the rest of her life, by guards. Can you imagine the extra security needed on a movie set? It would bankrupt the production company.
The above post is certified as having been Made In Canada.

Catharsis

Post by Catharsis » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:35 pm

endsjustifythememe wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:03 pm
What kind of media are you people consuming in order to be constantly bombarded with this?
I've been stealing magazines from the hair salon mostly. Want to know 10 bedroom tips that will drive him wild?
Try to be the reason some guy receives a free fidget spinner.

Lemon Merchant

Post by Lemon Merchant » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:11 am

Valka D'Ur wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:50 pm
So you've got a better chance of being a princess? That sounds interesting. I take it that it's not anything to do with the British monarchy, unless you plan to pull off some kind of King Ralph situation.
Not anything quite so dramatic or humorous. It's a weird little story about a peerage and the Irish Republic's constitution. Sad really. I could have been somebody. :)
Just a long cool woman in a black dress

Lemon Merchant

Post by Lemon Merchant » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:12 am

Catharsis wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:35 pm
I've been stealing magazines from the hair salon mostly. Want to know 10 bedroom tips that will drive him wild?
NO!!!
Just a long cool woman in a black dress