TOTD 12/3: Who is Tired of Meghan Markle?

If it don't go elsewhere, it goes here.
Lemon Merchant

TOTD 12/3: Who is Tired of Meghan Markle?

Post by Lemon Merchant » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:16 am

Being Irish, I'm not much of a monarchist, but I don't really have an opinion one way or another about the British monarchy...

But Jesus Christ, can we get a break from Meghan Markle and her toothy, feces eating grin yet? My god, You can't swing a cat without hitting someone or some reporter yapping about her. Yes, she's marrying Harry. Yes, she's going to become a pseudo-princess (she can't be a real one, she's not of noble birth, and she's a divorcee. I actually have a better chance of being a princess, but won't say why. :p ) And yes, she's sort of pretty, but for God's sake, can we ease up on the over saturation of Meghan! Meghan!! Meghan!!! already?

Or am I the only one?
Just a long cool woman in a black dress

shadowplay

Re: TOTD 12/3: Who is Tired of Meghan Markle?

Post by shadowplay » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:03 am

No, it wears on me too. It especially pisses me off when it' headline news, with all that's been going on in the world lately. The Canadian press were pretty bad. The US media didn't seem to pay as much notice.

Wait, aren't I supposed to be a monarchist? GOD BLESSUM BOTH! Time to bang their genitals together for the good of the kingdom!
Touching from a distance further all the time

Cutlass
Site Admin

Post by Cutlass » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:18 am

Some time in the past when prince olderboy had a kid I had an exchange with Traitorfish I think it was saying something to the effect of I don't hate the child, but I do hate the way the American press is all over endlessly talking about the child. This is little different to me.

I can imagine it's bad enough for you Canadians. Technically that's still your royal family. But us Americans fought 2 wars over 200 years ago so that those royals are god damned fucking well not our royals! Worse even is that they're still constantly talking about Diana, who's been dead over 20 years at this point.

Fine, a royal wedding is news. A royal baby is news. But tell us once and Move. The. Fuck. On. I truly do not need to hear any more than that.

Synsensa

Post by Synsensa » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:46 am

Who?

Lemon Merchant

Post by Lemon Merchant » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:11 am

Cutlass wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:18 am
I can imagine it's bad enough for you Canadians. Technically that's still your royal family.
It's becoming ridiculous. On any given day (assuming that I read everything in the news or see it on TV), I can tell you the following:

1. What she wore.
1a. What designer she's wearing.
2. What her hair looked like.
3. Where she was.
4. What she did and what she ate.
5. How many times she looked at Harry lovingly.
6. How many times she flashed that "I'm gonna be a pseudo-princess!" shit eating grin.

About the only thing I can't tell you is if she has the painters in, but I'm sure that fertility experts are already on that for the upcoming nuptials and royal baby betting pool.
Worse even is that they're still constantly talking about Diana, who's been dead over 20 years at this point.
The press will never let her go. They killed her, but they still want to use her for headlines. We'll be talking about her in 2050 if the press has their way.
Just a long cool woman in a black dress

Catharsis

Post by Catharsis » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:57 am

Ehh. There's a picture of Kate Middleton on the front page of every newspaper, every day. It'll be nice to have some variety.
Try to be the reason some guy receives a free fidget spinner.

Cutlass
Site Admin

Post by Cutlass » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:35 am

Synsensa wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:46 am
Who?
Some model chick who is marrying the younger prince of England and whatever else they can still lay claim to. Including, technically, Canada and Australia.

Cutlass
Site Admin

Post by Cutlass » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:38 am

Lemon Merchant wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:11 am
Cutlass wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:18 am
I can imagine it's bad enough for you Canadians. Technically that's still your royal family.
It's becoming ridiculous. On any given day (assuming that I read everything in the news or see it on TV), I can tell you the following:

1. What she wore.
1a. What designer she's wearing.
2. What her hair looked like.
3. Where she was.
4. What she did and what she ate.
5. How many times she looked at Harry lovingly.
6. How many times she flashed that "I'm gonna be a pseudo-princess!" shit eating grin.

About the only thing I can't tell you is if she has the painters in, but I'm sure that fertility experts are already on that for the upcoming nuptials and royal baby betting pool.

What I hear is the snobby part of Britain is making snide comments because she's mixed race, and so not 'white enough' to marry a prince. Nice how this all comes out.

Valka D'Ur

Post by Valka D'Ur » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:50 pm

Lemon Merchant wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:16 am
Being Irish, I'm not much of a monarchist, but I don't really have an opinion one way or another about the British monarchy...

But Jesus Christ, can we get a break from Meghan Markle and her toothy, feces eating grin yet? My god, You can't swing a cat without hitting someone or some reporter yapping about her. Yes, she's marrying Harry. Yes, she's going to become a pseudo-princess (she can't be a real one, she's not of noble birth, and she's a divorcee. I actually have a better chance of being a princess, but won't say why. :p ) And yes, she's sort of pretty, but for God's sake, can we ease up on the over saturation of Meghan! Meghan!! Meghan!!! already?

Or am I the only one?
Have a look at the comments on CBC.ca some time for the Royal Family stories. They run the gamut of respect for the Queen to "every last one of them is a parasite, why am I paying for them, and they should all go out and get a job." Apparently little Charlotte was supposed to go out and get a job even though she was maybe a week old at the time that comment was posted.

So you've got a better chance of being a princess? That sounds interesting. I take it that it's not anything to do with the British monarchy, unless you plan to pull off some kind of King Ralph situation.

Meghan Markle will never be a princess anyway. Harry is too far from the throne, and even Camilla is only a Duchess.

---
General comments here: I'm a monarchist. I like the tradition, if not some of the people who currently hold the various positions among the Royals. It's going to be hard to imagine not having the Queen as the monarch. She's been around since before I was born; her portrait was in every classroom at the first school I went to.

I'm one of the people who were Charles & Diana fans, while it was still a fairytale. The theatre group I was with at the time did our own version of the Royal Wedding, for the Westerner Days parade in the summer of 1981. They rounded up a bunch of backstage workers and offered us a chance to play various members of the Windsor family in the parade, so I figured, why not - it could be fun.

It was fun for the most part, other than walking 3-4 miles in high-heeled (for me) sandals. But otherwise it was a blast, getting dressed up, seeing the people on the sidewalks react (we even had a real corgi, and were followed by a double decker bus). After it was over (we won the top prize for best entry), someone in the theatre sent copies of the photos and a letter to the Queen, and we received a thank you card. It's weird to think that somewhere in the storage closets of one of the palaces over there is a 36-year-old picture of us - that includes my 18-year-old self, gussied up in a long dress, hat, and long white gloves.

Of course the fairy tale didn't last, and I've grown to develop a far more cynical attitude to most of that family. I was up late puttering around with something, when my dad came in and told me about Diana being killed. As I remember, I felt sorry for William and Harry - being so young and having to grieve in public like that.

Fast-forward... and when I hear about marriages and kids, I just think, "That's nice for them, hope everything works out"... and it's just mentally tiring to see all the vitriol come out. Whatever people think of the adults, or the institution of monarchy, why bother to throw that nastiness at the little kids? It's not like they planned to be born into that family or that kind of life.

Yes, they do have extraordinarily privileged lives, compared to the rest of the world. At least some of them are more aware that they're extraordinarily privileged.

As for how it affects me... I saw Princess Margaret once, sorta. She wasn't really in the mood to wave to anyone. Her helicopter touched down on the football field at the school I went to, and I figured why not watch, just to say I'd seen one of the Royals. My clearest memory of that was extreme annoyance that the cops had parts of downtown cordoned off hours before she arrived and I wasn't allowed to go to the library to return my book. So Buckingham Palace, you owe me for that library fine.

Otherwise? I'm interested in Tudor history, and reading Tudor-era fiction. I'm currently reading a novel about Jane Grey (the actual protagonists are her mother and Guildford Dudley's mother).

As for Meghan Markle, the coverage here lasted a few days, and there will be more of it the closer the time comes to the wedding. Yes, I will probably get up at some bizarre hour of the night to watch it live. At least she doesn't have to worry about the pressure of producing "an heir and a spare."
The above post is certified as having been Made In Canada.

Catharsis

Post by Catharsis » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:17 pm

Cutlass wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:38 am
What I hear is the snobby part of Britain is making snide comments because she's mixed race, and so not 'white enough' to marry a prince. Nice how this all comes out.
The snobby part of Britain is grateful for any excuse to wave a miniature flag around.

The tabloid rags on the other hand, she'll need to watch out for them because they will destroy her if they get the chance. At the moment they seem to have sensed the way the wind's blowing, they've all gone into flagtastic royal wedding mania mode as well, but it won't last. There's a particularly repugnant Daily Mail article that keeps getting mentioned in the thinkpieces I read about this - you can search 'meghan markle straight outta compton' if you want to read it and you don't mind funding the Daily Mail through advertising (I won't link it because I feel guilty enough for clicking on it in the first place).

Most of these thinkpieces seem to stem from American pseudonews outlets, Vox and Buzzfeed and the like - I get the feeling they're trying to convince their audiences that there's some sort of polarising national debate going on over here regarding whether Ms Markle is too black to be acceptable or whatever. It may be the case that that's going on but all I can tell you is that I haven't seen it - blame my white privilege for that oversight if you must but most people don't seem to give a toss as far as I can tell. While we as Brits have a lot of time for hating other races and nationalities, the fact of the matter is, the cricket's on and we're saving all our hate for the fucking Australians at the moment.
Try to be the reason some guy receives a free fidget spinner.