TOTD 12/13: Is LEGO for girls sexist?

If it don't go elsewhere, it goes here.
Lemon Merchant

Re: TOTD 12/13: Is LEGO for girls sexist?

Post by Lemon Merchant » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:38 am

Valka D'Ur wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:32 am
Your mother and I would not get along at all. What mother, in this day and age, actively discourages her daughter getting all the education she can manage? My mother was awful in a lot of ways, but at least she was proud of me for going to college - she herself never finished high school (her choice to drop out and get married, and no, it wasn't a shotgun marriage - it was her only legal way out of her parents' home).
Mum was a psychotically religious fundamentalist Catholic. So was dad. I don't think she got along with anyone outside the church. And even then, I think some of our fellow parishioners avoided her. The bible basically says that a woman's place is in the home, and she lived and breathed by the bible, Therefore to her, my place was keeping a husband happy and pumping out kids.
Timsup2nothin wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:14 am
Once again though, are you sure that it is actually young girls who receive the least encouragement to follow a "different" path? There was that nun encouraging you to follow your dream, to do anything. How many people are telling boys that it would be okay for them to be a homemaker if they want to?
I see your point, and I agree. Boys are not usually told that they can be homemakers, because boys are expected to grow up to be "manly" and homemaking is a "woman's art". I firmly believe that most fathers would look down on their sons if they voiced the idea of being a homemaker. It's a stereotypical gender based role that is usually not permitted to men because of our culture.

It should not be frowned upon either. A man should have the option of staying home if he wishes to. Just like a woman should be able to go out and work. (In a traditional marriage)
Just a long cool woman in a black dress

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:40 pm

This is the gist of my lifelong conversation with my sister regarding sexism. She was scarred by my dad saying, and I quote, "too bad you are so smart, since your just going to get married and it will go to waste."

My sister rejected the "stay home woman" role completely, and she did it long before it was fashionable, or encouraged...practically before it was even allowed. But no matter how completely she rejected it, she did still have that choice. I grew up knowing that at some point I would leave home and either go to work or starve. The differences between growing up with that choice or with that certainty are real, and are not going to be undone...and they still exist even though she made her choice early and irrevocably.

Lexicus

Post by Lexicus » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:57 am

Yes, it is certainly sexist and reinforces the gender binary.

Hygro

Post by Hygro » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:06 pm

edit: didnt see page 2, responding to last post of p1.

Sign me up, Tim ;D

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:24 pm

You're signed up Hygro, and hopefully for your generation it will work more easily.