No Man's Planet

If it don't go elsewhere, it goes here.
Timsup2nothin

No Man's Planet

Post by Timsup2nothin » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:52 pm

I finally got No Man's Sky. I was pretty heavily caught up in the hype, when it was the most overhyped game ever made, but I never buy into brand new games so I missed out on all the angst and fury. The developers have been quietly patching and upgrading, and the hype machine has slowly come around to talking about what it actually is as opposed to what it was expected to be and wasn't. A few people, including one who has an opinion I respect, have actually said it is a pretty good game if you are into the kind of thing that it is. So when it was half off on GoG's Winter Sale I picked it up.

If I disappear for an extended period you will know why. I'm calling it No Man's Planet because I have my own planet to explore. Creatures in an ecosystem to be figured out. Stuff to build to make my "life" easier. Resources to identify and exploit. I'm not really planning on going anywhere, or doing much of anything, but it's interesting.

Cutlass
Site Admin

Re: No Man's Planet

Post by Cutlass » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:02 am

Have fun. I probably should try a new game someday.

Lemon Merchant

Post by Lemon Merchant » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:22 pm

Cutlass wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:02 am
I'm having a great time with Cities:Skylines. It's on sale right now until Christmas though Paradox, or Steam. You get to build and manage your own city. It's like SIm City only much better.
Just a long cool woman in a black dress

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:31 pm

Lemon Merchant wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:22 pm
Cutlass wrote:
I'm having a great time with Cities:Skylines. It's on sale right now until Christmas though Paradox, or Steam. You get to build and manage your own city. It's like SIm City only much better.
Specifics Miss Lemon...better than which SimCity? Being better than the most recent one doesn't mean much, but being better than SimCity4 would be definitive.

Cutlass
Site Admin

Post by Cutlass » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:21 am

Timsup2nothin wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:31 pm
Lemon Merchant wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:22 pm
Cutlass wrote:
Specifics Miss Lemon...better than which SimCity? Being better than the most recent one doesn't mean much, but being better than SimCity4 would be definitive.
I bought sim city 4, and could never get it load and run on this PC. Never figured out why.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:11 am

Cutlass wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:21 am

I bought sim city 4, and could never get it load and run on this PC. Never figured out why.
Odd. It seems a very stable program in my experience. I've had it through at least...four? iterations of gaming machine and had very few problems. It does have a very intermittent 'hang on loading' issue that has affected a lot of people when loading a save, but it was a one time in hundreds thing for me so I could easily ignore it.

I just repurchased on GoG and haven't installed it yet on this machine. A lot of those long term known snags get ironed out in GoG releases. I'll let you know how it goes when I get to it.

Lemon Merchant

Post by Lemon Merchant » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:31 am

Timsup2nothin wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:31 pm
TBH, I'm not sure. I've only read fan raving and reviews. I have not played any of the Sim City games myself, er... well one of them, but I can't remember which one. It was a long time ago.

I believe that much of the raving and hand waving is in reference to the latest Sim City, not #4. I still recommend the game though.
Just a long cool woman in a black dress

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:35 am

Lemon Merchant wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:31 am

TBH, I'm not sure. I've only read fan raving and reviews. I have not played any of the Sim City games myself, er... well one of them, but I can't remember which one. It was a long time ago.

I believe that much of the raving and hand waving is in reference to the latest Sim City, not #4. I still recommend the game though.
Actually, there was a lot of waving about the most recent one. Not hands though. Mostly pitchforks and torches.

GoodEnoughForMe

Post by GoodEnoughForMe » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:23 pm

I tried playing NMS earlier this year and still thought the QoL parts of the game and the UI and just the general mechanics made it basically unplayable. So many things are simple fixes, too.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:47 pm

I am totally susceptible to motivation loops, so I am currently pretty entranced.

I'm digging this hole in the ground!

Why?

To get the valuable rock.

Why?

So I can sell it for credits.

Why?

So I can buy a better shovel.

Why?

So I can dig bigger holes!