No Man's Planet

If it don't go elsewhere, it goes here.
Timsup2nothin

Re: No Man's Planet

Post by Timsup2nothin » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:09 pm

Okay, NMS isn't a game, it's a toy. Games have a goal built in...winning. Toys are playthings that can be used in games sometimes, but in themselves they have no particular objective.

So far, my most satisfying moment from playing with NMS came from producing a .gif with sixteen labeled dots, which is an accurate but incomplete map of locations of interest around a single trading post on my starting planet. I used a triangulation process, notes on napkins, and MSPaint. Cumbersome, but a process I can take pride in developing. It is unlikely that I will continue my local mapping project much further, but I have no regrets for the effort invested.

If it were a game I would be annoyed that there is no in game mapping function.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:45 am

So, I flew to the north pole, and then the south pole. My reward for this endeavor is that I now know my planet is about 400K units in circumference...200K from pole to pole. My favorite trading post is in the northern hemisphere about 45K units from the pole, No one seems to care much about this information...including me, actually as I have not figured out any use for it. But I did find out.

Terrain at the poles was pretty much identical to the rest of the planet, so nothing exciting about the trip really, but I did make it back where I came from.

Cutlass
Site Admin

Post by Cutlass » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:40 am

How big is a unit?

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:05 am

Cutlass wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:40 am
How big is a unit?
Does the size of the unit really matter? Don't answer that.

If we assume that Toxic Shroom Garden (my planet) is Earth sized then 100K units roughly equals 10K Kilometers, making a unit about ten meters, which seems reasonable enough.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:25 pm

Soooooo...the global navigation project is proceeding. The absurdity of flying around in a starship visiting electronic entity aliens who can interface through interchangeable silicon bodies while navigating using a landmarks and dead reckoning system that was current during the age of sail is not lost on me, but it seems to be what is available.

If I am boarded by Spaniards and they demand my rutters I will have to fight to the death.

Cutlass
Site Admin

Post by Cutlass » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:45 pm

Can't you just put a mass of microsatalites around the planet and view them all from one place?

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:07 pm

Uh...not that I'm aware of. There doesn't appear to be anything available beyond the first person view other than a "galactic map" used for warping from one star to another. I can understand planetary navigation being deemed irrelevant. One spot on a planet is pretty much just as good as any other so there's really no purpose to mapping it.

hobbsyoyo

Post by hobbsyoyo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:52 pm

Timsup2nothin wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:52 pm
I finally got No Man's Sky. I was pretty heavily caught up in the hype, when it was the most overhyped game ever made, but I never buy into brand new games so I missed out on all the angst and fury. The developers have been quietly patching and upgrading, and the hype machine has slowly come around to talking about what it actually is as opposed to what it was expected to be and wasn't. A few people, including one who has an opinion I respect, have actually said it is a pretty good game if you are into the kind of thing that it is. So when it was half off on GoG's Winter Sale I picked it up.

If I disappear for an extended period you will know why. I'm calling it No Man's Planet because I have my own planet to explore. Creatures in an ecosystem to be figured out. Stuff to build to make my "life" easier. Resources to identify and exploit. I'm not really planning on going anywhere, or doing much of anything, but it's interesting.
I hope that person was me!

I haven't played much since they completely overhauled the in-game economy but the game was definitely on the way to greatness. They shot themselves in the foot by releasing it before it was ready but have gone above and beyond to add in features (for free) to bring it up to par.

What really got me to stop playing was that I sunk an enormous amount of time building up a massive farm to create lubricant which could be sold for a high mark up. They seemed to have completely removed lubricant from the game which made my entire farm useless junk. I didn't quite save up enough to buy the ship and freighter of my dreams and that really sucked.

Catharsis

Post by Catharsis » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:19 pm

hobbsyoyo wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:52 pm
They seemed to have completely removed lubricant from the game
That's rough.
Try to be the reason some guy receives a free fidget spinner.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:10 pm

hobbsyoyo wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:52 pm

I hope that person was me!

I haven't played much since they completely overhauled the in-game economy but the game was definitely on the way to greatness. They shot themselves in the foot by releasing it before it was ready but have gone above and beyond to add in features (for free) to bring it up to par.

What really got me to stop playing was that I sunk an enormous amount of time building up a massive farm to create lubricant which could be sold for a high mark up. They seemed to have completely removed lubricant from the game which made my entire farm useless junk. I didn't quite save up enough to buy the ship and freighter of my dreams and that really sucked.
It was you!