TOTD Jan 14: one genre of music, or many?

If it don't go elsewhere, it goes here.
Catharsis

TOTD Jan 14: one genre of music, or many?

Post by Catharsis » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:41 pm

I recently read someone claim that in the distant past, when dinosaurs and prog rock bands roamed the Earth, a person would only ever listen to one genre of music. Moreover, it would affect your friendships. If your genre is punk, and this other guy's genre is metal, then you and he can never be friends.

Not having been around during those dark times, I don't know how accurate this is. Nowadays it seems like people listen to a lot of genres of music at the same time - perhaps because innovations like the 'shuffle' function on mp3 players make it easy for us to switch between songs from entirely different albums without fiddling about with eject buttons etc. I think I would find it boring to listen to just one style of music forever - but then perhaps I am in the wrong, and am contributing to the death of musical subcultures with all this picking and choosing. (Who, on our modern school playgrounds, are the 'trap kids'? Who are the 'reggaeton kids'?)

Three questions:

1) How many different genres of music did you listen to when you were a kid/young adult, if that's not recent for you?
2) How many different genres of music do you listen to now?
3) Are musical subcultures dead, and if so, are they something to mourn?
Try to be the reason some guy receives a free fidget spinner.

GoodEnoughForMe

Re: TOTD Jan 14: one genre of music, or many?

Post by GoodEnoughForMe » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:57 pm

1) Growing up I started with pop music and boy bands. Smash Mouth, Nsync, Backstreet Boys, etc. By middle school I was a little more diverse; pop-punk and rap/hip hop. Blink 182, Eminem, 50 Cent, Missy Elliot, Green Day, Eve 6, etc. That carried through high school where I can recall distinctly loving bands like Green Day, MCR, The Killers, D12, on and on.

2) These days I listen to literally almost everything. I listen to a lot of music. In 2017 I listened to 220 albums that came out that year alone, as well as stuff I had listened to from previous years. My fav genres are emo revival, post punk, lo-fi, experimental hip hop, dream pop, folk. The only genre I really struggle still with is super hardcore screaming stuff. I can get into metal and black metal until the blood curdling yelling starts. Then I am out. Other than that I'm pretty open. I work really hard to listen to stuff from a lot of genres and a lot of different people from different walks of life. It's too easy to get stuck in a genre and demographic with music imo.

3) They're not really dead. They've declined from their hey day since streaming and internet make it easier to dabble in new music. But as someone who goes to shows a lot and knows some hipsters and punks and stuff it still def exists. I just think some of the hooliganism and the like is more muted, which I suppose is good. My first roommate was an anarcho-punk. My partner knows a lot of punks. I still see stuff referenced online. I suppose I know a decent amount of modern emo bois. I think like many things they're just all more diffuse and less structured and so less apparent. Also as the US gets more diverse specific music genres or groups (which are often demographically homogenous) are less large in scope.

Cutlass
Site Admin

Post by Cutlass » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:01 pm

I don't think that it was true that you couldn't be friends with people with different tastes, nor that people only ever listened to one genre. Now I grew up when and where rock was dominant, but which genre of rock was that? Depending on the extent to which you want to subdivide, there were quite a few, just within the overall category of rock. But quite a few people I knew at the time listened to at least some pop and disco, and a few listened to some country, and there were other types as well. So rock was dominant, but by no means exclusive.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:58 am

In one city that I used to live in some people took over a big box store building, former supermarket, and turned it into a club. You walked into this central bar area, with a double sided island bar setup that on weekend nights would have eight to ten barbacks working an astounding number of table servers. On either side there were these baffle passages of cinder block walls, so you had to go like in a queue line (only wider) back and forth and the walls blocked the sound. On one side it was a hip-hop club, and on the other a country western club. Sometimes they would have live bands on both sides at the same time.

At two AM, when that place shut down, you could commit any crime you wanted anywhere in town, because every cop the local PD had on duty would be headed for that parking lot. Seriously stupid business plan, though they made a buttload of money until the city shut them down.

Catharsis

Post by Catharsis » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:00 pm

Timsup2nothin wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:58 am
In one city that I used to live in some people took over a big box store building, former supermarket, and turned it into a club. You walked into this central bar area, with a double sided island bar setup that on weekend nights would have eight to ten barbacks working an astounding number of table servers. On either side there were these baffle passages of cinder block walls, so you had to go like in a queue line (only wider) back and forth and the walls blocked the sound. On one side it was a hip-hop club, and on the other a country western club. Sometimes they would have live bands on both sides at the same time.

At two AM, when that place shut down, you could commit any crime you wanted anywhere in town, because every cop the local PD had on duty would be headed for that parking lot. Seriously stupid business plan, though they made a buttload of money until the city shut them down.
:lol: It's a shame that club shut down before their perfect closing time song was written.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSurzeGvPrQ
Try to be the reason some guy receives a free fidget spinner.

Synsensa

Post by Synsensa » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:36 pm

Catharsis wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:41 pm
1) How many different genres of music did you listen to when you were a kid/young adult, if that's not recent for you?
None, I wasn't allowed to listen to music as a child. When I started rebelling around age 13-14, and before I even really knew how to listen to music, I'd just get entire discographies of bands I vaguely enjoyed some songs of. Almost exclusively rock and electronic. Daft Punk was my 'first'.
Rock, country, electronic (and its various sub-genres), pop. There are a few songs I listen to that fall into opera, musical, metal, hip-hop, and rap.
I've always found these weird but I can't say I've spent much time checking to see if they're still around. If they aren't, well, I don't shed any tears about it.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:38 pm

Catharsis wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:00 pm
Timsup2nothin wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:58 am

:lol: It's a shame that club shut down before their perfect closing time song was written.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSurzeGvPrQ
Yeah.

Thanks for the link.

endsjustifythememe

Post by endsjustifythememe » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:10 pm

Catharsis wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:41 pm
Three questions:

1) Punkrock, Ska, Reggea, Jazz, Jungle, (Electro) House, (Instrumental) Hip Hop, Chansons, Trip Hop, Drum 'n Bass, Grunge, R'n'B, Pop, Bossa Nova..

My dad has an insane record collection of 60.000+ records catching dust on our attic. I never found out until I was 16. He tried to never force his taste onto me, leave me alone to develop.. And eventually we still ended up liking the same obscure bands. Funny how that works out. It completely blew my mind.

2) Here are all the artists I listen to that are named variations of John:

John Cale, John Cage, John Zorn, Jon Hassell, John Coltrane, John Galm, John Lennon, John McLaughlin, John Lurie, John Fahey, John Frusciante, John Talabot, John Maus, John Scofield, John Vanderslice..

I can think of 10 different microgenres of techno. At this point we are so diversified numbers don't matter anymore. If you're asking about the "big genres"? All of them.

3) They never died off, they were atomized and mixed with each other and now we're stuck in this beautiful post-modern vegetable soup where everyone is referencing everyone and it's nothing weird at all to have a top 5 pop artist sample an obscure french horror flick about lesbian vampires, or to have an artist make an album entirely based on sounds produced with his kitchen sink, or to have an artist play 5 different instruments, but pretend to be a jazz quintet.

Just in case you were wondering, nothing here was made up, these albums all exist. This is what the musical landscape looks like in this millenium and I think it's great.
aka brian emo aka der ewige lude aka mangoloid aka hera cleetus aka carl the youngest aka based evans