If it don't go elsewhere, it goes here.
Lexicus

Re: TOTD 1/27: Is a hot dog a sandwich?

Post by Lexicus » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:55 pm

Okay that's a fair point.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:47 am

So, is lasagna a sandwich? The "bread" is already cooked when it is assembled, in layers.

Valka D'Ur

Post by Valka D'Ur » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:05 am

I would not consider lasagna to be a sandwich, any more than I'd consider ravioli or spaghetti and sauce to be a sandwich.

Isn't another requirement for something to be a sandwich if you can pick it up and eat it with your fingers? I've never once considered eating lasagna without a fork.
The above post is certified as having been Made In Canada.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:23 am

Well, that wasn't included in the previous definition...maybe I should check that...well, I don't think it was...but, anyway, that seems like a very good defining quality. I accept that lasagna is not a sandwich based on "generally eaten with the hands." Spaghetti and sauce was already excluded because it lacks a layered construction.

So, toast. Obviously if I smear it with jelly or such it would be an open faced sandwich, but what about just buttered toast? What about dry toast?

Valka D'Ur

Post by Valka D'Ur » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:29 am

Dry toast is not a sandwich unless it has something on it. I suppose that buttered toast would meet the technical definition, but not the usual definition that most people would reasonably have. Actually, when I want a quick sandwich I rarely bother with the margarine (can't have butter). I just take a couple slices of bread, add the filling, cut it in half, and that''s my sandwich.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:47 am

I usually have an available bottle of ranch dressing. Tastier than butter or mayo and can be applied without a knife.

If someone wants to call buttered toast an open face sandwich I won't quibble, I guess, but toast is toast, in my vocabulary. In fact there is zero chance that I would ever call my usual toast and jam an "open face jam sandwich, on toast" in this lifetime.

Valka D'Ur

Post by Valka D'Ur » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:49 am

In that case, it's a good thing that nobody will ever force you to do so.

My own view is that a sandwich consists of a piece of bread, upon which there is at least one other food item (could be jam or honey, as well as other things like ham, cheese, turkey, lettuce, fish, tomatoes, various kinds of salad, etc.) and then it's topped with another piece of bread. It may or may not be cut into halves or quarters to make it easier to handle, but it is meant to be held in one's hands when eaten.

My dad once played a trick on his girlfriend. She was sitting in front of the TV one night and ordered him to make her a sandwich.

So he dug out the box of French Toast Crunch (similar to Cinnamon Toast Crunch), got two pieces, put a minuscule piece of cheese between them, put it on a plate and gave it to her.

She had no sense of humor.

endsjustifythememe

Post by endsjustifythememe » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:38 pm

Valka D'Ur wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:05 pm
By that definition, a pizza is a sandwich.
Wrong. By my definition, a Pizza is an open-faced sandwich. It is!
aka brian emo aka der ewige lude aka mangoloid aka hera cleetus aka carl the youngest aka based evans

endsjustifythememe

Post by endsjustifythememe » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:42 pm

Valka D'Ur wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:49 am

My own view is that a sandwich consists of a piece of bread, upon which there is at least one other food item (could be jam or honey, as well as other things like ham, cheese, turkey, lettuce, fish, tomatoes, various kinds of salad, etc.) and then it's topped with another piece of bread. It may or may not be cut into halves or quarters to make it easier to handle, but it is meant to be held in one's hands when eaten.
what about two slices of bread with a slice of toast inbetween? this is peak british cuisine

aka brian emo aka der ewige lude aka mangoloid aka hera cleetus aka carl the youngest aka based evans

Synsensa

Post by Synsensa » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:54 pm

I've done the reverse of that. Two toasted slices and then a normal slice in between.