If it don't go elsewhere, it goes here.
Timsup2nothin

Re: TOTD 1/27: Is a hot dog a sandwich?

Post by Timsup2nothin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:41 pm

endsjustifythememe wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:38 pm
Valka D'Ur wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:05 pm
By that definition, a pizza is a sandwich.
Wrong. By my definition, a Pizza is an open-faced sandwich. It is!
It has been pointed out that the layered construction of a pizza occurs on dough rather than the defining bread. Pizza is not a sandwich, as you have defined it.

Cutlass
Site Admin

Post by Cutlass » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:21 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich

We should make a project of editing this.

Lexicus

Post by Lexicus » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:14 pm

You should all watch this too
http://www.veoh.com/watch/v17990992nmqFyzgY

Valka D'Ur

Post by Valka D'Ur » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:24 am

:shock:

Both of those seem... kinda redundant, honestly. No, I wouldn't consider them sandwiches, but I suppose they technically fulfill the requirements.
The above post is certified as having been Made In Canada.

shadowplay

Post by shadowplay » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:52 pm

I think it meets the technical definition of a sandwich, even though it isn't usually thought of as one.
Touching from a distance further all the time

endsjustifythememe

Post by endsjustifythememe » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:52 pm

Timsup2nothin wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:41 pm
It has been pointed out that the layered construction of a pizza occurs on dough rather than the defining bread. Pizza is not a sandwich, as you have defined it.
I have a hard time calling a "hamburger bun" bread and calling a baked pizza pie or burrito or lavas or something"not bread", especially since those items are sometimes defined as bread in their home countries. I also think "bread" isn't prerequisite for a sandwich, a solid outter layer of mostly carbohydrates is

aka brian emo aka der ewige lude aka mangoloid aka hera cleetus aka carl the youngest aka based evans

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:04 pm

Oh, I'm fine with a rice cake serving as the "bread." I also can't understand why it would be even remotely challenging to call a hamburger bun "bread." But the distinction between pizza dough and bread is simple, since one is cooked and the other is not. The construction of a sandwich is upon a base of "bread," ie some layer of ready to eat, already cooked, carbohydrate. The construction of a pizza involves not bread, but dough.

As to a burrito, the distinction there involves the layered construction, not the bread. I would have no problem describing a quesadilla as a sandwich, but a burrito is not.

endsjustifythememe

Post by endsjustifythememe » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:46 pm

Timsup2nothin wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:04 pm
As to a burrito, the distinction there involves the layered construction, not the bread. I would have no problem describing a quesadilla as a sandwich, but a burrito is not.
Very nice, I think we are getting somewhere here. The point you make is that dough is not bread, at least at the moment of the construction of the sandwich. To me that is irrelevant, it is all about the finished product. But I see where you are going with this.

Frozen pizzas are pre-baked, so the dough is already cooked, therefore "bread", even before you put it in the oven - are those open faced sandwiches?
aka brian emo aka der ewige lude aka mangoloid aka hera cleetus aka carl the youngest aka based evans

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:36 pm

endsjustifythememe wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:46 pm
Timsup2nothin wrote:
Very nice, I think we are getting somewhere here. The point you make is that dough is not bread, at least at the moment of the construction of the sandwich. To me that is irrelevant, it is all about the finished product. But I see where you are going with this.

Frozen pizzas are pre-baked, so the dough is already cooked, therefore "bread", even before you put it in the oven - are those open faced sandwiches?
No, because even though the pizza is prebaked, it was originally assembled on uncooked dough and then baked, as a pizza. I don't see how you can say that it is irrelevant that the dough is not cooked prior to assembly, when I think it was you that brought the definition "layered assembly on bread." Baking is most assuredly an integral part of the making of bread, so if the assembly is supposed to be on bread and no baking has yet occurred at the time of assembly then it can't be a sandwich.

I think that definition was perfect. Some things that aren't sandwiches are excluded cleanly because they are assembled before the dough is baked into bread. Other things are excluded cleanly because they are not layered constructions. The hot dog is still somewhat marginal because people will dispute the definition of layered as applied to folding the bread around the tubular layer. I say it isn't, because I don't stretch "layered" to cover that, but I respect the position of people who do.

Cutlass
Site Admin

Post by Cutlass » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:17 pm

Timsup2nothin wrote:
Oh, I'm fine with a rice cake serving as the "bread." I also can't understand why it would be even remotely challenging to call a hamburger bun "bread." But the distinction between pizza dough and bread is simple, since one is cooked and the other is not. The construction of a sandwich is upon a base of "bread," ie some layer of ready to eat, already cooked, carbohydrate. The construction of a pizza involves not bread, but dough.

By that standard an Oreo is a sandwich. :mrgreen: