If it don't go elsewhere, it goes here.
Timsup2nothin

Re: TOTD 1/27: Is a hot dog a sandwich?

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:21 am

Cutlass wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:17 pm
Timsup2nothin wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:04 pm
Oh, I'm fine with a rice cake serving as the "bread." I also can't understand why it would be even remotely challenging to call a hamburger bun "bread." But the distinction between pizza dough and bread is simple, since one is cooked and the other is not. The construction of a sandwich is upon a base of "bread," ie some layer of ready to eat, already cooked, carbohydrate. The construction of a pizza involves not bread, but dough.

As to a burrito, the distinction there involves the layered construction, not the bread. I would have no problem describing a quesadilla as a sandwich, but a burrito is not.
By that standard an Oreo is a sandwich. :mrgreen:
Well, they are officially called Oreo Sandwich Cookies, so that seems reasonable.

endsjustifythememe

Post by endsjustifythememe » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:53 am

Timsup2nothin wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:36 pm

No, because even though the pizza is prebaked, it was originally assembled on uncooked dough and then baked, as a pizza. I don't see how you can say that it is irrelevant that the dough is not cooked prior to assembly, when I think it was you that brought the definition "layered assembly on bread." Baking is most assuredly an integral part of the making of bread, so if the assembly is supposed to be on bread and no baking has yet occurred at the time of assembly then it can't be a sandwich.

I think that definition was perfect. Some things that aren't sandwiches are excluded cleanly because they are assembled before the dough is baked into bread. Other things are excluded cleanly because they are not layered constructions. The hot dog is still somewhat marginal because people will dispute the definition of layered as applied to folding the bread around the tubular layer. I say it isn't, because I don't stretch "layered" to cover that, but I respect the position of people who do.
It was, in fact, not me who said "bread", as I have already pointed out twice. Also you could have just looked at my post on the first page.

I also do not think that bread has to necessarily be baked, it could also be steamed

aka brian emo aka der ewige lude aka mangoloid aka hera cleetus aka carl the youngest aka based evans

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:54 pm

I'm willing to use "bread" in a somewhat vague and colloquial manner so that it includes all your variations...just keeping it distinct from "dough" or whatever other precursor to "bread" is involved. So if you wrap dough around a filling and steam it you get a dumpling, not a sandwich. Dumplings also aren't a "layered construction" so they are out on two counts.

Pizza is a layered construction, but is built on the precursor of the bread, not the actual bread.