TOTD 1/30: Is Perspective a Choice?

If it don't go elsewhere, it goes here.
Synsensa

TOTD 1/30: Is Perspective a Choice?

Post by Synsensa » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:33 am

Philosophy is rife with different theories and ways to perceive the world.

A lot of the time, the suggestions for solving a problem describe altering your perspective. Think of life in a different way and the problem will disappear.

Maybe that's true. But this leads to an important question: Is your perspective on life an explicit choice, or is it something that is mostly enforced through soft experiences and your mental foundation?

Timsup2nothin

Re: TOTD 1/30: Is Perspective a Choice?

Post by Timsup2nothin » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:00 am

Short answer, yes.

More complete answer, mostly yes.

The old saying that life is 5% what happens and 95% how you react to it is incomplete. It should mention that no one and nothing are responsible for how you react, other than you.

Cutlass
Site Admin

Post by Cutlass » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:16 pm

I think this is a little too philosophical for me. I can't quite frame a response.

Lexicus

Post by Lexicus » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:09 pm

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

endsjustifythememe

Post by endsjustifythememe » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:48 pm

Most of the time I think it is not a choice at all. Our initial reaction seems to me to be overly emotional, not thought through. I often have this Eureka! moment listening to music.. I tend to listen to full albums, and most of the time my first reaction is either immedeatly positive or negative. Then, when I get down to it, get rid of all distraction and listen to an album maybe two or three more times, suddenly certain songs will jump at me aggresivvely, and I think "how'd I not pay more attention to this?"

Perspective is not just "general outlook on live", perspective is something heavily dependant on the moment. Mood plays a big part. Routine and habits play an even bigger part. A change of perspective that is not just temporary will always have to correlate, I think, with a break in one's personal life, one's daily routine, one's daily vices and so on -- A change in the exterior world. Therefore I would say that perspective is only a choice to the degree one feels like he has control over his life and his actions.

I think it's not useful to seperate exterior and interior world because they both feed into each other, one necessarily impacts the other. Therefore, anything we think or do, really, is influenced to a high degree by everything surrounding us, which in return is a reflection of our past choices. So involuntarily everything you have done leading up to this point will also influence your outlook and your decisions in this precise moment.

I would argue someone entirely unable to control his surroundings, who is convinced there is no free will and no perspective, can not overcome his notions, unless he is convinced otherwise by a third person or has an epiphany caused by something exterior. Some of us humans really are determined to struggle for ideas they believe in.. Some ideas have a lot more power than we are willing to admit.
aka brian emo aka der ewige lude aka mangoloid aka hera cleetus aka carl the youngest aka based evans

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:57 pm

While initial reactions that are not thought through may seem like the norm, they don't have to be. The ability to apply forethought makes responding to "unexpected" situations obsolete.

Synsensa

Post by Synsensa » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:26 pm

endsjustifythememe wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:48 pm
Most of the time I think it is not a choice at all. Our initial reaction seems to me to be overly emotional, not thought through. I often have this Eureka! moment listening to music.. I tend to listen to full albums, and most of the time my first reaction is either immedeatly positive or negative. Then, when I get down to it, get rid of all distraction and listen to an album maybe two or three more times, suddenly certain songs will jump at me aggresivvely, and I think "how'd I not pay more attention to this?"

Perspective is not just "general outlook on live", perspective is something heavily dependant on the moment. Mood plays a big part. Routine and habits play an even bigger part. A change of perspective that is not just temporary will always have to correlate, I think, with a break in one's personal life, one's daily routine, one's daily vices and so on -- A change in the exterior world. Therefore I would say that perspective is only a choice to the degree one feels like he has control over his life and his actions.

I think it's not useful to seperate exterior and interior world because they both feed into each other, one necessarily impacts the other. Therefore, anything we think or do, really, is influenced to a high degree by everything surrounding us, which in return is a reflection of our past choices. So involuntarily everything you have done leading up to this point will also influence your outlook and your decisions in this precise moment.

I would argue someone entirely unable to control his surroundings, who is convinced there is no free will and no perspective, can not overcome his notions, unless he is convinced otherwise by a third person or has an epiphany caused by something exterior. Some of us humans really are determined to struggle for ideas they believe in.. Some ideas have a lot more power than we are willing to admit.
I like this post.

endsjustifythememe

Post by endsjustifythememe » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:00 pm

Timsup2nothin wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:57 pm
While initial reactions that are not thought through may seem like the norm, they don't have to be. The ability to apply forethought makes responding to "unexpected" situations obsolete.
sadly, Tim, I lack that ability. I am a happy singing, dancing automaton and only employ critical thinking when I consciously employ it.. I think
aka brian emo aka der ewige lude aka mangoloid aka hera cleetus aka carl the youngest aka based evans

Catharsis

Post by Catharsis » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:48 pm

Perspective can be a choice if one chooses to make perspective a choice. We have that saying about 'walking a mile in someone else's shoes'. If we couldn't make the effort to apply a different perspective then we wouldn't have the saying; but if it weren't a difficult trick to pull off, then we wouldn't need the saying.
Try to be the reason some guy receives a free fidget spinner.