Who writes here?

A number of us have an interest in writing. Fiction, non-fiction, discuss what you're reading as well. Those of you who need to write professionally, even when writing is not your profession may gain some by running it past people who do write professionally, or just like to write.
Synsensa

Who writes here?

Post by Synsensa » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:03 pm

How many of you write recreationally? If there's a sizable amount, it might be neat to organize a biweekly/monthly writing prompt where we show off our creative chops without necessarily competing over it.

Aimee

Re: Who writes here?

Post by Aimee » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:23 pm

I write. Whether I'm good at it is an entire matter entirely.

shadowplay

Post by shadowplay » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:49 pm

I used to write poetry and copious amounts of Street Fighter fan fiction in the 90s when I was a kid. At some point in my teens I lost the spark for writing and now I can barely get out a single paragraph before feeling bored.
Touching from a distance further all the time

Cutlass
Site Admin

Post by Cutlass » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:40 pm

I've written once in a great while. I'd like to write more, but lack the confidence.

Lexicus

Post by Lexicus » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:19 pm

Ooh, I would do this. I don't write enough recreationally but not because I don't like to write.

GoodEnoughForMe

Post by GoodEnoughForMe » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:18 pm

I blog resularly-ish and write short stories regularly-ish. I'm going to Amazon self publish a collection of my fav entries some time around the end of the year/early next year, and I am working right now on the collection and stuff. I've been writing since... 1st grade? Somewhere around there. It comes and goes. I took a multiyear break in my early to mid 20s. I'm not very good. But as an outlet and as a space it's nice.

To make a long story short, I'd be down for writing events of some sort, although I get flaky and picky about what I write about and often do stuff all in one go, so having a defined subject, while good practice, is also a bit harder for me than just getting really angsty and pounding something out. But I'd definitely give it a shot. I also genuinely enjoy reading indie/amateur stuff that's shorter and doesn't require a huge commitment. Some of the best short stories I've ever read were submissions to contests like Sixfold and stuff.

endsjustifythememe

Post by endsjustifythememe » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:05 pm

seems like my last post was lost for some reason

I write poetry, essays, short stories..

also do movie- music- and literature reviews

currently writing the script for a movie about marco polos travels, which ill direct with a few friends

at some point I will likely post some of my reviews to hopefully get critique
aka brian emo aka der ewige lude aka mangoloid aka hera cleetus aka carl the youngest aka based evans

Valka D'Ur

Post by Valka D'Ur » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:24 am

Well, some of you are familiar with the Iron Pen competitions that have been an on-and-off activity in the Arts & Entertainment forum at CFC (I'd still like to do more about that if anyone is interested; no poetry, though, unless asked).

As for my own writing, I've been doing it for years (and years, and years, and years). The only stories I ever posted online were part of the Iron Pen competitions at a forum I no longer belong to. Sadly, I think those stories are probably lost, unless I have copies tucked away in some old email or can access them on one of my old computers. They weren't bad ones - good enough to win the competitions I was in, at any rate.

Nowadays I've got a couple of long-term fanfiction projects on the go, and am using NaNoWriMo as the kick in the pants necessary to keep focused. The current one is my ongoing novelization of a particular arc of connected Fighting Fantasy gamebooks. I originally played these adventures over 25 years ago, and now I'm turning them from sheets of game statistics, maps, and bits of character sketches and backgrounds into what will hopefully be a coherent novel (more, actually).

If anyone's interested in interactive storytelling which may or may not include roleplaying, that's always fun.
The above post is certified as having been Made In Canada.