What was the first video game you played?

Want to discuss games, computers, other technical devices, this is the place.
Ajidica

Re: What was the first video game you played?

Post by Ajidica » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:30 pm

First "game" was probably something like Pajama Sam or PutPut, simple point-and-click games or various flash games on Neopets.
First real game was probably Civ3. Parents got it for me because it was supposed to be "educational".

Synsensa

Post by Synsensa » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:32 pm

Ajidica wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:30 pm
First "game" was probably something like Pajama Sam or PutPut, simple point-and-click games or various flash games on Neopets.
First real game was probably Civ3. Parents got it for me because it was supposed to be "educational".
Pajama Sam. <3

Catharsis

Post by Catharsis » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:27 am

It was likely some form of edu-tainment game for the BBC Micro that my lower school had (it would've been the mid- to late-Nineties, so the Micro was pretty well obsolete by that point). I recall playing 'Granny's Garden' and being mortified by the sound the witch would make when you screwed up.

There was also 'Podd'; you typed in a word and Podd, who was this sort of dopey tomato thing, would perform the action. Podd could only do about ten things but I was a stupid child and enjoyed it anyway. In my defense, once of things you could make Podd do was 'explode'.

Eventually my lower school upgraded to computers that didn't look like toasters, and on those we had 'The Logical Journey of the Zoombinis'. That game got remade recently, it's on Steam and I bought it. Even managed to get some Zoombinis to Zoombiniville, a real slap in the face of seven-year-old me who never achieved such a feat. Take that seven-year-old me.

Outside of games designed to trick gullible children into sitting down and being quiet for a goddamn second, my first game was probably Space Junkie. It was a Space Invaders, Galaga-type thing for the Macintosh, you shoot aliens with a spaceship, that's it, probably still in my Top 10 games ever.
Try to be the reason some guy receives a free fidget spinner.

Lemon Merchant

Post by Lemon Merchant » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:15 am

Dinner wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:31 am
The first video game I ever played was Pong which I played on an Atari 2600. Half of you folks don't seem old enough to even know what that is.

Edit: I see Cutless is also in the over 40 age group. :lol:
Hehe. So am I. I think Pong was also my first game as well.
Just a long cool woman in a black dress

Valka D'Ur

Post by Valka D'Ur » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:51 pm

Birdjaguar wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:20 am
Too long and too many games ago. Maybe one of Moraff's.
Mahjongg or Ringjongg? I still have some of my old Moraff games, although the computer I played them on hasn't been in use for quite a few years (it could be again, if I had the room to set it up and clean up the crap on it).

The very first computer game I ever played was Shanghai, an Amiga version of mahjongg. It was one of four games that came with the computer, which was how I got around my grandmother's orders of "NO GAMES!" (she paid for the computer, so she felt I should only use it for typing, and was terrified I'd get addicted to games like she'd seen people do on TV).

I don't remember how many hours I spent playing that, and Zany Golf and Ports of Call.

And then some people in my SCA group introduced me to Civilization (the first one), then Civ II, and that did get me well and truly hooked on gaming. I've actually got a ToT game going right now. But I really miss Zany Golf, as I no longer have all the parts to my Amiga.
The above post is certified as having been Made In Canada.

Narz

Post by Narz » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:00 am

Snafu for Intellivsion.

I also remember an awesome game called Motezuma's Revenge for Apple IIe

hobbsyoyo

Post by hobbsyoyo » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:36 am

The original legend of zelda on the NES was the first game I played. I had a lot of fun with it until the battery died and I stopped being able to progress.